Monday, 29 October 2012

Do you agree?


Relating part two of One Flew over the Cuckoo’s Nest to the world, I relate this to my book I’m reading now. I’m reading the book called Girl Interrupted in this book the girl gets put into an asylum and she sees many patients who have done crazy things to be put in there like one girl poured gasoline over her body and lit herself on fire to try and kill herself. Another part in this book she hears people screaming. The reason I relate this to One Flew over the Cuckoo’s Nest is because I feel that when I’m reading this that McMurphay is like the girl who burned herself. They are both “crazy”! I also feel that when I’m reading One Flew over the Cuckoo’s Nest I can envision things happening and see the characters, the patients walking around, and all the horrible things happening!  Both themes of the two books are Mental Illnesses.
I feel that even though the book is Mental Illness that there are obviously other themes in the book like hidden messages that create different themes. For an example when he sees the Fog. He uses the Fog in my own opinion; to go to his “happy place”. Creating the theme of peace and happiness etc. Although he says that the Fog disappears that “someone turned the fog off”.  How is he supposed to go to his happy place when he is ready to burst or is feeling scared?  In the second part I feel that the tables start to turn with the Big Nurse and patients. This creating the theme of rebelling, do you agree?
To relate this to myself and my life would be like me being McMurphy and my Stepmom being Big Nurse.  You don’t really get much of a choice in anything, and you must do what she says or you get some sort of punishment. The only difference is I don’t live in an asylum and I do not get Electro shock therapy.  My punishments are doing chores and being grounded, and my groundings are rough I would say!  In my house when your grounded all you get to do is stay in your room and read and do educational things, no TV, no phone, no friends. I cannot even draw if I wanted. So if you think about it it’s kind of like being in an institution sort of! You do not get much of a choice and if you rebel your punishment gets worse and longer.  Personally I like that times have changed and you’re not allowed to hit your children cause I feel that there would be more crazy people in this world.

4 comments:

  1. Sammie

    I agree with you when you say that the theme is part two is rebelling against society. I feel that as the book progresses the patients are gaining more confedience, with or without McMurphy's gudiance. i can totally relate to how you presented your step-mom to be Big Nurse, my mom can also be very controlling like that sometimes.

    There is one thing I dont agree with in your blog though; the thing about hitting children. I agree with you about not being able to hit your child, however, people still do that in our society. I personally believe that times have changed, however human behaviour has not.

    I like this blog though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do agree with you that rebellion is a consistant thing throughout the novel. The rebellion starts with Mcmurphy against the big Nurse. However if you really think about it, everyone at one point i n their life time will rebel against authority. I mean, if you put a bunch of rats in a cage and try to discipline them at least one rat willl want to experiment on how it feels to get out and be free. I believe that despite authority, due to all the infuential factors that we have in todays society, there will always be rebellious people. The way the system deals with rebellious people is having concequences in so they can not repeat them again, this also refferring back to your situation possibly and Mcmurphys situation. The big Nurse will not stop until she feels Mcmurphy has fully learned his lesson, and can learn to be structerdized like everyone else. In so, circumstances like such it make sense that there will be someone who would want to rebel against the structudized socitety; also reffering back to mcmurphy. However, my question is, will the rebellious individual eventually learn from their actions, or continue to do it until it leads one towards their death? I mean how much can a person really rebel until authoirty takes extreme measures to try and put a stop to it? Mcmurphy along with others are consistantly involved in a constant battle with the rules of authoirty. Society has wasy to dealing with rebellious people, but again will Mcmurphy eventually be dealt with?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I like how your able to relate this book to one you’re reading. I too relate some parts of this book to my previous book The Lovely Bones. Just like Chief the main character in Lovely Bones (Susie) is up in heaven and goes to this gazebo. It’s where she finds the quickest relief of reality. I relate this Chiefs fog. Just like Chief, Susie finds her idea of a “happy place”.

    I agree with you and all the comments above that the theme of rebellion is within the novel, especially within McMurphy’s character. He is slowly helping the patients gain confidence. The patients only need that small amount of leadership to show what they’re truly capable of doing.

    As for Ali’s comment about human behaviour, I Agree. I too believe times have changed from years ago, nut human behaviour has not. I don’t human behaviour will ever change. It could maybe slightly but not drastically. I think eventually one day well get there. No day soon, but in the future.

    I also really like your personal reference comparing your step mother and you to Nurse and McMurphy. It is something many people are able to relate to, I mean who has not been grounded in their life before? Overall I really enjoyed your blog. Great job !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sammie - how are the gasoline girl and McMurphy the same? McMurphy claims he is sane and tries to protect himself. Yet the other girl tried to hurt herself, suggesting she has some serious issues... Please make sure you fully explain these connections for us :)

    Sammie and Ali - are your parents controlling you for the sake of controlling. Or are they actually looking out for you?

    Kenya - great job! This idea of how much rebellion is allowed is key to this novel. Two super powers cannot peacefully co-exist... something is bound to happen....

    ReplyDelete